The Sky was a delightful expanse of azure blue dotted with magnolia clouds. The warm rays caressed my cheeks. My friend, Susan and I had decided to go to the cinema at Jurong Point to watch the latest blockbuster “Harry Porter”, as our examinations were over. The cinema was crowded with people . We had to queue up to buy the tickets at the box office. After that, Susan went to buy two packets of popcorns.
It was 9.30 am, Susan and I were strolling into the theatre.
After finding our seats, we sat down, munching happily on the popcorn we had just bought, in anticipating of an action-packed show. The show was quite scary. In the middle of the show, a burning smell wafted through the theatre, the image of the screen flickered rapidly. Susan and I were alarmed by the sudden loss of vision. The theatre was pitch dark that we could not even see our hands in front of us. Loud screams could be heard everywhere. I could feel people pushing around me. I lost the grip of hand with Susan and we were separated .
“Susan ….” I shrieked. I heard my name being called after I shouted for Susan. A booming voice over the loudspeaker jostled us into action. “ Please walk slowly to the exit. Don’t push ”. However, pandemonia ensued. Patrons trampled over the fallen ones, not heeding the pleas for order from the staff. Staff began to assist in the evacuation procedure.
Finally, we made our way out amidst of all the confusion.
Everyone loitered outside the building, anxious to find out what had happened. It was found that there was a short circuit in the unnamed projector’s room and a small fire had occurred. Everyone was compensated and was given a refund. We were not deterred to watch the movie, but in another cinema.
Written by : GRACE DENG